Chicken A’la Kiev, one of the oldest selling dishes of the iconic pre-independence eatery, United Coffee House, has been winning many a hearts since its introduction on the menu. We got the restaurant to reveal the recipe of this celebrated dish and it is already prepping in our test kitchen. At the restaurant, it is served seated on a bed of mashed potatoes and a side of blanched, fresh seasonal vegetables, and french fries, that make for a wholesome meal. We suggest you do the same.
Prep Time: 15 minutes, plus cooking time
Caters To: 2 persons
Challenge Level: Difficult
From The Pantry:
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-2 fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- ½ cup refined flour
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep-frying
- Combine butter, parsley, torn thyme sprigs, torn oregano sprigs, and chopped garlic in a bowl and mix well.
- Slit the chicken breasts and open them.
- Fill a piping bag with the butter mixture prepared in Step 1.
- Sprinkle some salt and crushed peppercorns over the slit chicken breasts. Pipe out the butter mixture in the centre, roll tightly and seal the edges. Place the rolls on a plate and refrigerate for 5 minutes.
- Spread refined flour and breadcrumbs on 2 different plates.
- Break eggs into a bowl and whisk well.
- Coat chicken rolls with refined flour, dip in eggs, and then coat with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process one more time. Place the chicken rolls on a plate and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a pan, gently slide the rolls into the hot oil, and deep-fry till golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot.
Go ahead, recreate the legend!