Kanji is a great drink to start your day with. The benefits of carrot are heightened by the fermentation process, creating a restorative drink abundant with probiotics. The black or purple carrots (kali gajar) offer greater nutritional benefits as compared to the orange carrots, due to the high concentration of anthocyanins. These powerful antioxidants are also present in berries and are the reason for the dark hues. Go ahead, indulge in this zingy, pungent, tart drink that packs a punch not just for your palate, but your health too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 3 to 4 days for fermentation
Caters To: 2 litres
Challenge Level: Beginner
From The Pantry:
- 4 large carrots (preferably black carrots)
- 8 cups water
- 1 ½ tablespoons red chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons mustard powder
- Black salt to taste
- Clean carrots well. Peel and cut into batons.
- Boil the water in a steel vessel. Add the carrots and bring back to a boil.
- Leave it to cool and add the spices once cool.
- Put the mix in a glass or ceramic jar.
- Cover the jar with a muslin cloth and tie it round the rim. Let it stand in the sun for three to four days.
- Stir with a wooden spoon daily.
- As the taste of the kanji becomes sour, the fermentation process is complete.
Chill, serve and give your health an extra boost!
Featured image courtesy: culinarylegacy.com