A sublime medley of luscious noodles slathered in sweet-tangy- spicy sauce, topped with crunchy and toasty peanuts, and sesame seeds. What better to intertwine comfort food and culinary brownie points in one stroke? Whip up these Pad Thai noodles to indulge your belly and awe your guests.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Caters to: 2 gobblers
Challenge level: Intermediate
From the pantry:
- 200 grams rice noodles
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 5-7 cloves of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely sliced lengthwise
- 50 grams button mushrooms, sliced lengthwise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A handful of tamarind pieces
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 3 teaspoons palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons roasted and pounded peanuts
- 1 lemon, cut thinly
- A handful of spring onion stalks
- Soak the rice noodles in cold water for 30 minutes, followed by warm water for a few minutes and then drain it.
- Soak the tamarind in warm water overnight. Mash it properly and strain the pulp, removing the seeds. Now mix the sugar, hot sauce, and lemon juice with the tamarind water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok. Add the garlic, ginger, and chilli. Sauté for a minute, then follow it with the onions and stir until translucent. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high flame for a few minutes with regular stirring then follow it with the noodles and the sauce. Give it all a toss until the sauce coats each noodle.
- Garnish with roasted peanuts, roasted sesame, and basil leaves. Serve with the spring onion stalk and lemon wedges.
#DSSCTopTip: Sprinkle some lemongrass powder for that added kick. Alternatively, you can add some more lemon juice and hot sauce on top. You may also add soy sauce, egg, sprouts, chicken any other vegetable or meat you wish to add.
Featured Image Courtesy: purplecarrot.com