The famous gunpower (pudu) makes for the perfect accompaniment not only for your idlis, dosas, and uttapams, but just about any snack or dish you’d like to pair it with. Try this quick ‘n’ easy recipe to pack that punch to just about any meal.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Caters to: Makes one small jar
Storage Time: Lasts 2 months in an airtight container
Challenge Level: Beginner
From The Pantry:
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- ⅓ cup urad daal
- ⅓ cup chana daal
- ½ tablespoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon hing (asafoetida)
- 20-25 whole Kashmiri chillies (dried and deseeded)
- 15 fresh curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- On a low flame, pop the mustard seeds in oil till the they are crackling.
- Add asafoetida to this.
- Now, roast and toast the two daal in this till golden brown.
- Throw in the red chillies and curry leaves, roast for another 5 minutes.
- Add salt and bring this down to room temperature.
- Scoop up the mixture into a processor and grind into a fine powder.
- Mix it with ghee and enjoy it with dosas, idlis, uttapams, etc.
There you go, add that extra zing to your chomp sesh!
Featured Image Courtesy: thespiceadventuress.com