As we delve into long hours of work, a pint of ice-cream is always by our side for support and what better than coconut to #BeatTheHeat this summer. Amalgamating the soothing coconut and pungent ginger, the DSSC Kitchen was put to test and the result was a glorious flavour boasting of balance and perfection.
Prep Time: 2 hours + 4 hours refrigeration
Caters To: 4 gobblers
Challenge Level: Intermediate
From the Pantry:
- 400ml coconut milk
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 4 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup castor sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp rum (so that the ice cream remains creamy when frozen)
- Add coconut milk, whole milk, and minced ginger in a saucepan and bring to a simmer for 1 minute.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar.
- Add 1/2 of the coconut milk mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly till it comes together.
- Place the bowl with the egg mixture over a double boiler and slowly add the remaining coconut milk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Cook until the mix thickens and coats the back of a spoon, stirring regularly.
- Once the custard thickens, remove from heat and let cool in the refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Once chilled, strain the mixture over a sieve to get rid of the ginger, then whisk in the cream and rum.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and churn for 40 minutes before freezing.
- Freeze for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
Best enjoyed in summer, though we won’t say no to a scoop or three in December either.
Featured Image Courtesy: chocolateandmarrow.com