We can’t decide if it’s the aroma of bread being baked or the actual bread that entices us more. Till we come to a conclusion we will continue to bake bread at home and the Crusty French Bread is one of our favourites. Try it out for yourself!
Prep Time: 45 minutes + 30 minutes baking
Caters To: Makes 1 loaf
Challenge Level: Beginner
From The Pantry:
- 1 cup warm water
- ½ tablespoon yeast
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups refined flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- Sprinkle of cornmeal (optional)
- Mix the yeast and sugar with warm water in a large bowl, and give the yeast time to proof for about 7-8 minutes until it foams.
- Add in salt, oil, and refined flour and mix for 2 minutes.
- Add in the whole wheat flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 10 minutes, to make it smooth and elastic.
- Place the ball of dough in an oiled bowl, turn it around so that all sides are coated with oil.
- Cover the bowl and let the dough rise till it’s doubled.
- Shape the dough into a slender loaf.
- Grease a baking tray or french bread pan and sprinkle with cornmeal (optional).
- Place the loaf on a tray and make diagonal gashes on top. Leave it in a warm spot to rise further.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C and bake the loaf for about 30 minutes.
- Spray a little water during baking for an additional crust on the bread.
The loaf is now ready to scoop up with sauce!
Featured Image Courtesy: kingarthurflour.com