After having travelled across the globe and leaving people stumped and amazed since the 18th century, the soufflé has found a place in many a hearts. When done perfectly, it’s the crowning jewel of any culinary spread. Here’s a sure shot recipe for a savoury Cheese Souffle that’ll get you many pats on the back!
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 30 minutes baking
Caters To: Four gobblers
Challenge Level: Intermediate
From The Pantry:
- 50 grams butter, plus extra for greasing
- 25 grams breadcrumbs
- 50 grams plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 300 ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100 grams Grana Padano cheese or Cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Generously grease four soufflé ramekins (5cms in diameter), with butter and sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Tip out the extra breadcrumbs.
- In a pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add in flour and mustard powder and stir well for about 1 minute and take the pan off the heat.
- Slowly pour milk to this pan mixing continuously, ensuring no lumps are formed.
- Place the pan on medium heat again and continue stirring for about 10 minutes, until the mixture is thick.
- Pour out the contents into a bowl and let it cool to room temperature.
- Stir in eggs yolks and cheese to the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites till peaks form. Use an electric hand blender for quicker results.
- Using a metal spoon, gently stir in whipped egg whites into the cheese mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the ramekins and run a cutlery knife around the edges to create the ‘top-hat’ effect, so that the soufflé doesn’t stick.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, till the top is golden and has risen. Serve immediately.
Go ahead and boast about your souffle skills!
Featured Image Courtesy: belula.net