Dark chocolate, orange and chilli in an ice cream make for a power-packed combination. Pair this with a decadent warm brownie or eat it on its own, either way, this ice cream is on our list of #foodgoals! Inspired by Lindt Excellence chocolate bars, which claim the status of perfection, the rich cocoa flavour is balanced by zesty orange & punctuated with spicy chilli.
Fresh oranges are a delight to work with and melting 80% cacao dark chocolate chips fills the kitchen with a strong aroma. Making this ice-cream is more fun than you’d think, so give it a try!
Prep Time: 30 minutes + 7 hours chilling and churning
Caters To: 5 gobblers
Challenge Level: Intermediate
From The Pantry:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup dark unsweetened cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons tabasco sauce (adjust as per taste)
- In a medium sized saucepan whisk together sugar, cream, milk, cocoa, salt and orange zest. Bring to boil and reduce to low heat, whisking every 2 minutes.
- Add chocolate chips and stir continuously until the chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat, mix in orange juice, vanilla extract and tabasco.
- Allow the mixture to cool down till room temperature before chilling in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Pour the chilled mixture in the ice cream machine and churn as per instructions.
- Once the ice cream is churned, add in a loaf pan and freeze for another 2 hours to set.
The ice cream is now ready, so scoop & eat!
Featured Image Courtesy: theskinnyfork.com